Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Country Throwdown!!

As soon as Cari saw that The Lost Trailers would be performing at Country Throwdown she simply had to go. Tickets had recently gone on sale so we got great seats - Orchestra Center Row E. We just had to wait for two months. The Lost Trailers opened for Phil Vassar about four years ago and Cari fell head over heels for Ryder Lee, the lead singer. They were scheduled as an opening act for someone else (can't remember who) in the fall, but the show was canceled because of a hurricane. Cari was extremely disappointed. It was more than a year later we finally got to see them again. That was over a year ago now. So come hell or high water, she was seeing them at Throwdown. It was only 95-97 degrees yesterday. I don't do heat - at least I don't do it well. Normally, I would've balked big time at going to a concert in nearly 100 degree weather, but since we're leaving for Nashville in three days I figured I may as well get used to it. It was bad, but not as bad as it could've been I guess. Part of the time there was a decent breeze and that helped. I also took my little spray water bottle fan thingy. It helped too. But honestly, the only thing that helps in that kind of heat and humidity is air-conditioning.

The Lost Trailers were scheduled to perform at 2:30, so we got there around 2:00. As we sat there, and sat there, and sat there some more we finally heard they were running an hour being - pretty unusual for a country concert. They're usually very punctual. And I was amazed at how empty the place was. I don't know if it was the heat that kept people away or what, but I don't think I've ever seen it that empty before. Finally at 3:30 they took the stage and they were, as always, fabulous!! We loved every minute of their set and were close enough to make eye contact. It was awesome! Cari, of course, knew every word to every song.


After their set Ryder announced they'd be signing autographs at the Merchandise Booth. Needless to say, we immediately got up and proceeded to find the Merchandise Booth and get in line. We each bought a group photo and got it personalized, then got our photos taken with Ryder and Stokes.

 


Walking back to our seats to wait for the next act, Cari was floating on clouds. Not only had she gotten Ryder's autograph yet again, but she got to hug him this time and get a picture with him too! She could've gone home right then and there and been perfectly happy.


As we found new seats (it was General Admission until 7pm) to wait for the next act, we melted - no literally. Good Gawd it was hot! Finally the next act came on. I didn't even know who they were, never heard of 'em. It was Ryan Bingham and the Dead Horses. ?? The first thing that really got to me was the volume on their amps was turned up WAY too high. They were twice as loud as anyone else. The base drum actually hurt my internal organs. It was crazy. I didn't care for the "music" either, but could've tolerated it much easier had the volume been at an acceptable level. I was never so glad to have a band get off the stage. I sure hope to never see them again. I have no idea why they were at a Country Throwdown. There was nothing country about this band. I may not have known who they were when they took the stage, but I certainly will never forget them now.


Finally, they quit and left the stage. Thank you God. Seriously, thank you. It was that bad. The Eli Young Band was next and we, at least, had heard of them and like a lot of their music. They were good and I'm sure we'll be getting more of their music. (Note: There's something about Eli Young that really reminds me of Wayne Newton.)


Jack Ingram was next. I've seen Jack before and he does a great show, so I was really looking forward to this. He did not disappoint. He was awesome!! Jack is so energetic and into audience participation the time just flies.


When he sang "Barefoot and Crazy" he took his boots off and put them on the mic. It was pretty damn cool to see him running around the stage singing his butt off barefoot.

Jack ended his set by coming down from the stage and getting in the audience for a little more up close and personal. We loved it. He really seems very gracious and humble about his success - and acknowledges that he wouldn't be where he is without the fans. It was cool. Next up, Eric Church ...


... not sure what we were expecting from Eric Church, but it wasn't what we got. He didn't do much for me or Cari. We had listened to his music on iTunes and liked a lot of it but after seeing him perform - not so much. His music and songs are still basically ok, but Eric himself has issues! He comes across as an angry man trying to get his point across and wanting approval for his views. There's a lot of pounding on his chest with his fists, shaking his hands, screaming at the end of a phrase, etc. Anyway, just a little over the top for me. Seeing this concert certainly wouldn't make me wanna go out and buy his CD.

Oh, I almost forgot ... in between bands they had new and upcoming singer/songwriters on the corner of the stage with just their guitars singing some of their songs. This one chick started singing and Cari and I immediately looked at each other with raised eyebrows. We thought it must be some kind of joke. After 20-30 seconds we started to realize that, no, this was just her. I tell you - honestly - the chick sounded like one of the Chipettes of Alvin and the Chipmunks!!! Seriously! It was CRAZY! I know we were rude because we couldn't help but laugh ... and you know my laugh. Enough said.

As hot as it was and as hungry as we were, we sort of considered leaving early. But after sitting through all of that and to be so close to Little Big Town performing, I was determined to make it. Let me just say it was worth it. The were SO, SO good. I'm glad we stayed - it was worth it. :)

So that was it - we were done. Tired, hot, hungry, thirsty and exhausted, we left early - before Montgomery Gentry came on. I would've liked to see them, but under the circumstances, going home sounded better.

All in all it was a good day. A couple of hiccups make it more interesting I guess but it was mostly good. Tomorrow Brooke comes in and the circus begins! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment