Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Look Again"

"Look Again," by Lisa Scottoline was surprisingly good! I had not read anything by her before but ended up buying the book because it sounded pretty interesting. I didn't start the book until about 11pm (I usually read before turning out the light) Monday night. Even with only small windows of reading throughout the day (breakfast, lunch, waiting on dinner to finish, etc) I was on page 150 by dinner. It's an easy read, the print is not small and the story just kind of sucked me in. By the time I picked it up to eat lunch yesterday (Wednesday) nothing else was gonna get done until the last page had been read. Granted it wasn't the best book I've ever read and it's not on my five star list, but I liked it and will definitely look for more of Lisa's books.

I'm now finishing the 4th book in a series I started getting from Annie's Attic, "The Lady in the Attic." After receiving this last book in the mail yesterday (don't know how many are actually in the series), I canceled my membership. The books are nice (hardback) and not too long, easy to read ... but the stories are just lame. I mean, they're just okay. The books alone are $13, then they add $4.95 s/h which brings the total to nearly $19! After reading three of them, I can tell you they just aren't that good. If I was paying $10 I may continue my membership, but for $20 - nah.

Oh I did read a book on vacation too ... lemme see what that was. Hang on ... okay it was "Isle of Palms" by Dorthea Benton Frank. Again, this was a new author for me. It was interesting enough for me to turn the pages but it wasn't one of those books impossible to put down. The story takes place on the South Carolina coast outside of Charleston and is about a woman trying to get her life together. It had me laughing out loud quite often. The characters were quite likable and quick witted. I wouldn't say it's a "must read" but is an easy and entertaining read.

Think I'm going to my local second hand book store to see what else I can pick up of these two new authors ... will let you know what I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment