Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

On and off my needles ...

In an endeavor to be more accountable in my knitting, my goal is to blog about what I have (or have not) accomplished each week on Fridays. Since I have "Stitch & Bitch" on Friday mornings I'll take a few minutes at the end of the day to log my projects. So, what's off my needles in the last week? Let's see, after a trip to Knit Wits Saturday morning I simply had to drop everything (not that I was doing that much but still ...) and play with the delicious Misti Alpaca Chunky Hand Paint hanks that insisted on coming home with me. I played with several different stitch patterns and needles sizes before deciding on a simple 2x2 rib with a twist and the following is the end result. I love it!! The alpaca is so incredible soft and squishy!!



Oh, but before I started playing with this new alpaca I made myself seam a cowl I finished the night before. Mom bought me two beautiful hanks of chunky alpaca during our weekend trip to the Outer Banks in September (for my birthday) - lime green and a light teal. Actually, I had honestly forgotten about them in all the frantic Christmas knitting. When I got home from S&B that Friday I immediately pulled both colors out and wanted to get them made into something. Initially I planned to use them together in one project but decided against that in the end. The green was calling the loudest to me so I chose a very simple cowl pattern I knew would knit up quickly. I can't wait to wear it!



And the light teal made a beautiful cowl in the classy herringbone stitch. I need to find a couple of perfect buttons to set it off, but it's otherwise done.



I also finished a dishcloth out of some pretty Plymouth Fantasy Cotton using a slip stitch pattern and size 6 needles. I need to start another one but just don't enjoy knitting with cotton because it has no give and is hard on my arm and shoulder. I'll get them done eventually. Here's the first one:


OK, so now for what's still on my needles:

Later during the week I pulled out another ball of yarn that's been in my stash for, well let's just say quite a while, shall we? It's pretty and soft and chunky but for whatever reason I haven't been able to find the right pattern for it. I've played with this particular yarn quite a few times trying to figure out what it wants to be. This week I decided it was time it joined society and quit living in seclusion in the yarn bin. After trying a number of different stitches and needle sizes it finally told me it wanted to be knit in a modified rib - 1x1 - but all the knit stitches are knit in the stitch below, creating an elongated stitch. I think I'm finally really liking the way it's turning out: (later edited: I frogged this project. just wasn't happy with it in the end. gave the yarn to Heidi to do something with.)

Cari's felted clogs: Apparently I've been dragging my heels on these. I did finish the first one early in the week. That consisted of seaming the bottom of the first sole, weaving all the ends in, making the second sole, attaching it to the first sole and seaming it. Clog one down. One more to go. After completing a few smaller projects and getting that sense of satisfaction, it was time to bite the bullet and pull out the yarn to start the second clog. I did that at S&B this morning. I needed to see if I had enough yarn to finish the second sole or if I had to go buy more yarn. Good thing I did. I had very little yarn left after just the first sole (you have to make two soles for each clog - that makes the bottoms twice as cushioned). Sighing, I left S&B and went directly to the Yarn Basket (where Cari found this yarn) to purchase another ball of the burgundy. Fran said she didn't have anything else going on and wanted to keep my company so she hopped in the car too. As we were browsing the fiber someone came up behind me and covered my eyes. Well, I knew it wasn't Regina because she was home sick so my other choices were limited and I figured it was Karen. She had an appointment this morning and didn't make it to S&B but stopped by to see if an order for the cotton she likes had come in. We all ended up going to Panera for a spontaneous lunch! I love when my Fridays come together like that!

Tonight after dinner I sat down to start the second sole, just so I'll have the hard part done when I get to it. (Have plenty of that pretty burgundy left too - hello stash!) I started the top of the clog and as I was working it I was getting this sinking feeling that I may run out of that yarn too. Ugh! Why oh why didn't I pick up that long ball that matched when I was there today? But alas, I didn't. And now I'm going to have to go back to get another one. (I'll have plenty of that left over too since I only have about 4 rows left.) First off, it's going to be damn cold tomorrow and I really hadn't planned on going anywhere. Secondly, I really wanted to finish this clog and felt the set this weekend. If I don't go all the way back out to the yarn store tomorrow, that won't happen. I'm ready to cross these off of my list and move on. I guess next week you'll find out what happens, huh?

The other two things still on my needles are my black kimono sweater that still needs to be seamed and my entrelac stole. I'll eventually get back to them - I promise!

Other projects looming on the horizon? Well yes, of course. I'm itching to do socks again and I'd love to make Morgan a little sweater, I have some fun yarn pulled out for a black scarf striped lengthwise - for me! I want to get some more of that gorgeous hand paint alpaca. There's another colorway screaming at me to come home and be made into another wonderful scarf (and Cari would really like that colorway too - so I need to get enough to make two scarves!) That's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, I need to pull stuff together to knit a little owl for my niece Ayla. I've picked out a pattern so need to get going on that too.

It's almost midnight now so that's all for this week. I'll add pics tomorrow. Next week I'll talk about what podcasts I've listened to lately as well.

TTFN,
QB

No comments:

Post a Comment