Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Charlottesville Weekend

After dropping Peanut off at Dad's we had a pretty uneventful drive to Charlottesville. We met Bill, Beth and Lauren at the hotel and soon after arriving, set off for the Downtown Mall. The guys found a nice place to sit and have a snack and beer while Beth and I hit the yarn shop (Needle Lady) and bead shop (Studio Baboo). We didn't get to the mall until after 3:30pm and most of the shops close at 5:00pm so we really didn't have much time.

The Needle Lady is a wonderful fiber shop. Oh the money I could drop in there! I was looking specifically for some cream color fiber to compliment my multi fiber summer wrap (see post below) I am ready to begin. It took a couple of spins through the shop before I spied it, but once I did I knew it was the perfect one. Berroco Bonsai in the tofu olor. Frustratingly, though, they only had two hanks of it - I need seven. UGH!! So, believe it or not, I walked out of there without a single purchase! I know!!! I can't believe it either - still!

From there, we walked down to Studio Baboo to see what kind of trouble I could get into there. I did pretty well in there too - only picking up a few teal and lime green beads to add to my collection. I think the main reason for my restraint was because I was starving. It was almost 5:00 by this time and the only thing I had eaten was a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

So we walked down to find the guys and ordered a Blue Moon Summer Ale with some Spinach and Artichoke dip for a snack. I had to have something before dinner while we waited for Rick and Regina to arrive before dinner. (I was pretty ticked at myself when I realized I left my camera in the car. Yeah, I did think about going back to get it, but since Beth had her camera I didn't.) It was so nice to sit outside and enjoy the food, beer, company and beautiful weather. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Rick and Regina joined us around 6:00pm (I think, who was looking at the time? not me!). We probably sat there for another hour and half just enjoying the evening. But eventually it was time to vacate our seats and head for dinner. Bill and Beth had eaten at Sal's before and loved it so that's where we mosied to. It was much too beautiful of an evening to be anywhere but outside, so we waited for a few minutes for a table outside. Everyone raved about their dinner - it was exceptional! I don't remember the name of my dish, but it was grilled chicken with sun-dried tomatoes on fetuccine with a pink lady sauce. O-M-G! It was awesome!! We sat there for quite a while just being in the moment and enjoying the evening. I know we all had a wonderful time but I'm not sure those around us did. LOL. It doesn't take much for this group to get a bit rowdy if ya know what I mean! Probably a good thing it was late, huh?

We managed to find one of the gift shops still open so, of course, we had to go in and browse. Regina bought a melted Grey Goose bottle (it was beautiful!) and we picked up a pair of earrings (with purple JMU colored) beads for Cari. I think it was around 11:00pm by this time and we started walking back to the cars.

Beth had brought a bottle of Muscadine wine with her so we we met in the courtyard of the hotel to continue the evening. None of us had tried it before so we really didn't know what to expect. I really liked the strong muscadine grape flavor, but this particular wine was quite sweet - too sweet for me. I will, however, try one of the other ones. Beth said this particular one was the sweetest but she couldn't find her favorite, "Magnolia."

It was going on 12:30am before we made our way back to the room. Bob was "gone" before I could wash my face and brush my teeth. So I spent some time with Harry, Ron and Hermoine before turning out the light.

The "reason" for the trip was the Horton Vineyard Pig Roast and wine tasting on Saturday. It was from 11:00am - 5:00pm and lunch was served from 12:30pm - 2:00pm. We decided to arrive around noon, which meant we needed to leave the hotel around 11:30am. Bob and I slept until 9:00am and went down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. Lo and behold Rick and Regina were already there finishing up their breakfast. Bob and I ordered omelets and thoroughly enjoy that first cup of java.

We agreed to meet in the courtyard before leaving at 11:30am to drive to the vineyard. The Riddlemobile was perfect because it held everyone so comfortably. We arrived around noon and couldn't believe all the people already there. Holy Cow! There were picnic tables set up in the shade, but we were hard pressed to find a seat - especially six seats together. So we did what anyone would do - started tasting wine! LOL

While none of us were thrilled with either their red or white wine line, most of us really liked their fruit wines. Oh the choices!! I think I tasted the Plum wine first and really liked it. From there I sampled the pear, peach, strawberry, blueberry and blackberry. It was really nice without being too sweet. The plum was my favorite with the peach being my least favorite. But I did end up bringing a couple of bottles of the pear and peach wine to make some white sangria. :)

Since the food lines were growing, we decided it was time to get in line and try to find a place to sit. Regina sent Rick to purchase a bottle of the plum wine for us to share during lunch. We did manage to find enough empty space at one of the tables, so off we went. Unfortunately, the weather on Saturday wasn't nearly as cooperative as it was Friday. It was hot! (I went back to the food line and got an empty paper plate to use as a fan.) The food was ok but nothing to write home about. Still, the company was top notch and we had fun together.

Somewhere around 2:00pm the raffle started. We all sat there, hoping with each drawing that one of us would walk away with something. Some of the numbers called out were in the upper 400's so they must've sold quite a few tickets. During this time, one of the Horton employees was walking around pouring a new wine for anyone who wanted a taste. As soon as we (Regina, Beth and I) heard that it was their new CHOCOLATE wine, we emptied out glasses! WOW! It was the bomb!! I can't wait to get my hands on some. Sadly, it isn't available until sometime in August. After the raffle was over (and no, none of us walked away with any free wine), we made our purchases and headed back to the Riddlemobile. I love this shot of the vineyard with the stone parapet in the background.

Rick is such a good sport. He doesn't do wine - it gives him headaches. However, he did some research earlier that morning on a micro-brewery close by - Starr Hill - so we headed that way after leaving the vineyard.

The guys completely enjoyed themselves tasting the seven different ales from Starr Hill. Beth wasn't feeling up to par after all the hills and turns from getting there - her stomach wasn't too happy so she didn't try any of the brews. I had a sip of a couple of Bob's and they turned my tongue inside out. Yuk! I really don't like bitter beer. Right now, what turns me on is the Blue Moon Honey Moon ... with a nice fat orange slice in it of course. Starr Hill has a brew similar to that called "The Love." Apparently, it's the ladies' beer. I did like it much better than anything else I tried, but it would've been even better with an orange slice.

They sell these giant mugs called "The Growwler." For $25 you get the mug filled and may bring it back for $8 refills. It was too good of a deal for Bill and Rick to pass up. As you can see, Rick even bought two of them - he said one of them was for his son ... yeah, right.

Leaving with happy guys, we headed back to the hotel for a quick freshening up and then to find somewhere for dinner. Bonefish Grill ended up being the group choice, so Rick plugged it into the GPS and off we went. Most of us ordered the popular "Bang Bang Shrimp" appetizer. I also ordered the Cajun Chicken Egg Roll appetizer along with a side salad since I knew Bob would be picking off some of my shrimp. Oh My God - I think we each drank a gallon of water with our Bang Bang Shrimp. That is one spicy dish - but oh so good! Between the water and the food, we all waddled out of there.

Back at the hotel we met in the courtyard for the last time to share a bottle of wine. It didn't last long because all of us were whipped puppies. I think we parted ways and were back in our room before 9:30pm.

We had agreed to meet in the parking lot at 9:30am to go to breakfast together. Apparently, Bodo's Bagels is THE place to go around there. Now I see why. The choice of different types of bagels, different sandwiches and cream cheeses were a bit overwhemling. Ultimately, I went for a standard egg, ham and cheese on whole wheat. It was wonderful! As we sat there eating, the place started filling up. By the time we left the line was out the door. Amazing!!

It was a wonderful ending to the perfect weekend with great friends. Can't wait to do it again!

Ta Ta for now!
Wanda

No comments:

Post a Comment