Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spring ... here? / not here.

This has been a really weird spring, but it does follow on the heels of a pretty strange winter. My body doesn't know what to expect, the plants outside don't quite know what to do, hell even my Tranes keep switching back and from from a/c to heat. Bob comes home from work one night and all the fans are going (my power surges partly to blame) and the next night the heat's on. Crazy! In the middle of May last night, I, yes even I, wore a sweatshirt on our nightly walk!

More signs of spring: I've had hummingbirds on my feeder already! I'm always so excited to see the first little ones of the year. I just love to watch them. I also spotted a Rose Breasted Grosbeak on my feeder 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't seen one of those in years!! I've been thrilled to see quite a few on my feeder in the last few weeks. One night while eating dinner, I actually had THREE (2 males and a female) on it at one time! Bob and Cari think I'm nuts because I get so much enjoyment from my birds.

I did find some plants that called to me yesterday at Walmart though. Had to come right home and plant them all! I've had these square wire baskets for a couple of years now and needed new coconut liners for them. I guess square is out these days because all I could find were round baskets and round liners. I thought it was stupid to have to throw these away and buy new round baskets, so in the spirit of recycling I bought the round ones anyway. They were a PITA to try and make fit into my round baskets, but I did it. Probably ruined a pair of scissors in the process. (note to self - buy the round ones pre-cut with slits next time!) I ended up putting some beautiful light green lined, purple leaf Coleus with some variegated Vinca in them. They look ok for now - will have to see how they fare this summer. Also bought some day lilies and pretty purple Delphinium to plant together in my big pots. The Hostas sitting in from of them should be perfect!



I also just had to have a pot of gorgeous Cala Lilies and a trailing vine on a trellis with beautiful red flowers ... and I can't for the life of me remember right now what it's called. UGH!!


Cari and I went to Baybreeze yesterday! I love getting my fresh stuff from them - so glad they're open again! We do so miss that little stand when they close at the end of the summer. We bought fresh strawberries (just picked), tomatoes, sweet potatoes, baby red potatoes, some free reign eggs and I found chives!!! Have been looking for chives for a couple of weeks now. Will cut some of those to have on those baby red potatoes when we fix them! :)

Love my herb garden!

On another note, I don't think Cari and I have even come up for air since she's been home. Today makes two weeks. She's not even completely unpacked yet. Honestly, I don't think she's been home long enough to unpack. Bob and I are going to a fish fry with a group of friends this afternoon and she's looking forward to having the afternoon to herself just vegging - after we go to the gym this morning of course. We have been on the go non-stop.

Speaking of the gym, I had started going back before she came home, but she really started cracking the whip! We have gone nearly daily since she's been back. And most of those days we haven't been to the gym, we've walked or biked instead. Next will be some tennis rackets for something a little different. Have I lost any weight? Me? Not much. I walked with ankle weights last night. I told both Bob and Cari if my ass didn't shrink after all this I really was gonna start sitting on the couch watching soaps and eating bon bons.

OK, enough for now ...
QB

No comments:

Post a Comment