Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

My "Dream" Vomit ...

It has been about six weeks since I sent my disgruntled letter to Coats Moda Dea. I've heard nothing. Not a peep. Not an "I'm so sorry this happened." Not a "so sad, too bad." Nothing. So much for customer service. Guess I won't be buying anything else from this company. I sent the "package" certified so I know they received it. For those of you who don't know the story, let me fill you in. This is an excerpt from my letter to the company:

"I am writing to share with you my experience this week with the Dream yarn. Excitedly, I am about to be a grandmother for the first time in June. You can imagine my list of projects for my new granddaughter. I have been working feverishly trying to get as many as possible completed before the shower the later this month.

For one of my projects I chose Lion Brand Pound of Love in white as the body of the blanket. It’s a simple knit 3, slip 1 rib but oh so squishy and soft. Since the baby is a girl and this pattern is more unisex, I wanted something special to dress it up for the border.

As I wandered around Michael’s looking for a special yarn, my eyes landed on the Dream yarn. I thought it would be the perfect frame for this blanket. It’s so soft and silky feeling! And it was on sale for $2.99, which was even better! I bought four balls and headed home to play with different ideas and stitch patterns. After trying several things, I decided on a simple crochet ruffle. It was just what it needed to make it a bit more feminine.

Later that night as I was nearing the end of the second set of balls (I was double stranding with a P hook), I realized I was going to run out of yarn. Sunday morning I head back up to Michael’s to pick up two more balls. Sunday night I ran out of yarn once again with only about 2/3 of one side left. So Monday while out running errands I went by Michael’s once again to pick up two more balls. Imagine my delight and excitement over finally completing this project and being able to wash it and get it wrapped for the shower. I was stoked."

Now the fun starts:

"Now imagine my dismay after hand washing this blanket when I took a second look at the ruffle to see all these free loops hanging out all over the place. It honestly looked like a dog had gotten hold of it and chewed it all up. It was horrible! I was heartbroken! Not only had I wasted $25 in yarn (on the ruffle alone) but the time I had put into it as well. I wanted to cry."

Photos of the results:



and


and


Needless to say, I was completely heartbroken. There was simply no way to save this. The shower was looming closer and I'm facing having to rip the entire ruffle out and start over with it. Since I really didn't want to spend any more money on yarn, I decided to shop in my own stash and see if I had anything that would work. After discovering some Caron Simply Soft in a soft pink color I thought would work, I started playing to see what it would look like. While it wasn't as dramatic as my first choice, it worked - and I knew it would wash up beautifully. The final outcome:



My daughter was thrilled with it and that's what counts right? The ruffle looks much better, yes?

This experience prompted me to sort and sift through my stash once again, discarding ANYTHING that had any resemblance to chenille. I will never buy or use that fiber again.

That's my story for today. Baby update coming later ...

QB

No comments:

Post a Comment