Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Morning After ...


Can we talk (in my best Joan Rivers' voice)? I am exhausted - still. Hell, I don't know why - after all, I did get 5 hrs sleep so what's the problem? It's all worth it though. Kenny is worth just about anything. After coming home from THE party of the year, it's kind of hard to wind down and go to sleep quickly. I have to replay everything in my head over and over again. My throat was raw from screaming and singing to the top of my lungs. My feet were throbbing from standing and dancing (and yes, I use that term loosely). My hands were red from clapping so hard for so long. There is nothing like a Kenny show.

Kenny opened with the high energy song "Live Those Songs Again." He sang our favorites from "Beer in Mexico," "Summertime," "Keg in the Closet," "I Go Back," "Me and You," "Don't Happen Twice," "Back Where I Come From," "Everybody Wants to go to Heaven," "Young," "Big Star" and "Got a Little Crazy" to his famous island songs like "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems" and "When the Sun Goes Down." Of course when the music started for "There Goes My Life" I held my breath wondering if I would be ok this year. I have never been able to listen to that song without crying. When the last verse starts (daughter leaving for college), the tears have a life of their own. I was hoping that since I have lived through that (and survived) I would be ok. Wrong. It was just as bad as it has ever been and, to some extent, felt worse. And it took me a while to recover from it. I guess that song touches me in a special way and is simply too easy to relate to. He always saves "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" for one of the last songs and we all love it. His shirt was completely soaked by the 4th song. From the first moment he stepped on stage until the last moment he left, everyone was up on their feet joining in with the celebration of the moment. There is nothing like a Kenny show.

A Kenny Chesney concert is so much more than just a concert. It is THE party of the year. Yeah, I know I'm repeating myself. But it's so true. We've seen him every year since 2001 and more than once a year quite a few times. In fact, this was our 15th show. Cari and I never get tired of going to his concerts. The energy at his show is unexplainable if you haven't experienced it. To hear nearly 20,000 fan singing every word to every song is something you have to experience to understand. There is nothing like it. Sometimes the fans come close to drowning out Kenny we/they are so loud. I've been to concerts in lots of places and nobody throws a welcome party like we do. Rarely will you see anyone (from 2 to 82) sitting down throughout any part of a Kenny show. And boy does he love it. There is nothing like a Kenny show. He is truly the entertainer of (at least) the decade. Keep coming back Kenny. We'll welcome you every time.


Photos compliments of Cari Troupe from the 2006 show

No comments:

Post a Comment