Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Books, books and more books ...


I just finished "Knitting Under the Influence" by Claire LaZebnik. I'm not really sure where the book came from or who loaned it to me, but I discovered it while digging through one of my stashes. I'd never read anything by the author before and have not enjoyed several of the last off the wall authors I'd picked up lately. Anyway, on a whim I decided to pick this up and see how far I could get with it. I was delighted and surprised to find myself looking forward to having the time to get back to the story. Even though the author incorporated the girls' knitting group into the story, it was really the story about three girlfriends sticking together through thick and thin while learning various life lessons.

Another recent book I was really excited about picking up was "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Boy was I disappointed. Apparently my standards are just way different than the majority of the entire reading population. I managed to make it through 162 pages. At that point I decided I simply couldn't take any more. UGH! What didn't I like about it? I would be easier and quicker to say what I did like about it - no wait, there wouldn't be anything to write. I know quite a few people who have read it and liked it. That's why I say it must be me - it can't be everyone else! Sometimes when I read a book I can't get into, I know it's my mood or frame of mind and not because the book isn't good. This book, I can honestly say, just wasn't for me. For me, it was about 70% fluff and maybe 30% meat. I'm a meat girl, not a fluff girl. I don't need to know every tiny detail about each particular situation - especially when the situation isn't pertinent to the story!

Since it is a time travel book, I did expect the story to go back and forth between past and current situations - and it was a LOT, sometimes every couple of pages. But that combined with the constant going back and forth between Henry's point of view and Claire's point of view and all the bloody details that had nothing to contribute to the story ... ??? AAAAHHHH I had had all I could take by page 162 and I closed the book. I hate to give up on books once I've started them, but this one was a complete waste of time in my opinion.

Before I picked up "The Time Traveler's Wife" I tried to read "The Girl Who Stopped Swimming" by Joshilyn Jackson. Again I am in the minority of readers (on amazon.com anyway) reviews on this book. This one, too, failed to capture and keep my attention because of too many details that did absolutely nothing to contribute to the main story. I made it to about page 150 in this book before giving up. So much for trying new authors. From now on I will stick to my tried and true authors who never fail to keep me interested and turning pages.

On the other hand, I did find a new author I like. After discovering I had the first and third books in the "Fever" series by Karen Marie Moning, I went on a mission to get the second one and excitedly started the first one, "Dark Fever," on Friday, Aug 7. By Tuesday, yes four days later, I had finished the third one and was dying to get my hands on the fourth one, "Dream Fever" to be released tomorrow! Each book leaves you wanting more and is like the ending of a chapter, not a book. I'm glad I just recently discovered this series and didn't have to wait long in between each of the three I just read. So I'll be off tomorrow to pick up the new one and fly through my chores just to have time to read a bit.

Life has been a bit crazy this summer and will be even crazier this week. We're doing last minute shopping and getting everything together to move Cari back into her dorm on Saturday. It's going to be bittersweet leaving her again. We've had a lot of time together this summer. I'm going to miss her. She's off tonight seeing her beautiful niece and sister one more time before leaving. I know it's going to be hard for her to let Morgan go tomorrow night before heading home again.

Until next time,
QB

No comments:

Post a Comment